Friday, April 13, 2007

Nigger was probably the last word these guys above heard, which is why I do not use any form of it, nor do I use the word Nigga....and I absolutely hate it when people use it around me, whether they are black, white, pink, green, yellow, it's just not cool, not in a fucking hip hop song, not when someone is cracking a joke, not on the Dave Chappelle show, and not when people are referencing a stupid movie they watched, I don't like the word and frankly it should just die. OK...now that I have that off my chest....I'll explain why I'm a bit irritated.

For starters, I'm tired of hearing about IMUS. Two they keep showing IMUS' face...it's scary, I will probably have nightmares. On a serious note, all this talk about IMUS has caused some very deep seated issues to arise in the Black community, many of which I think about on a daily basis. For instance, I am so sick of turning on my radio and hearing stuff like "whip that trick", " slap that ass ho", quite frankly I don't even listen to the radio much anymore, the new generation of hip-hop is nothing like it was when I was growing up. Old hip hop was about stuff like " I Need Love" and "Friends, How Many of us Have Them".

Now it's full of vulgarity, and ignorance. The hip hop and neo-soul artists that are providing positive messages aren't given ANY air time by the mainstream media and radio. It's sickening to compare the disparity of the awareness positive rap gets against negative. There is a double standard out there, but I don't agree with either side, just like I don't like hearing black people use the word Nigga, Nigger, (insert any form of the freaking word here), I don't like hearing ANYONE use it. No one. If I EVER hear my child use it...it's on.

I am so happy my mother raised me to at least be proud of my "kinky, curly" hair, and I'm also happy she taught me love myself. I remember looking in the mirror as a kid and wanting my nose to be smaller like all the barbies I saw, or wanting my hair to be straight and long like all the BARBIES I saw, thank GOD for acceptance of one's self and having a mother smart enough to educate me about race. This is why musicians have to be more responsible, art imitates life as we all know, and our kids are listening to the garbage on the radio.

IMUS is a fool but why are we now freaking out because some old white dude called some absolutely undeserving sisters "nappy headed hos", we should have been freaking out a long damn time ago when we flipped the radio switch. Take a deep breath peeps, cause Hip Hop is on life support folks.

My mom was a sociology major in the 70's so you can only imagine that I grew up in an interesting household. I'm proud to have friends from all different backgrounds, I'm thankful that I'm not in some box and everyone I know looks just like me, or I am one of those folks who says stuff like I have (ONE) Caucasian friend.....or Hispanic friend....in my case i have all kinds of friends. So I said all that to say, I hope this world continues to transcend above ignorant folks like DON IMUS. I’m out folks, happy FRIDAY!!!

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Michael Raymond said...

That's a damn good post. And I agree with everything you said.

Boogie chilluns.

April 13, 2007 at 6:29 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home