Thursday, June 12, 2008

Most Influential Person (MIP)




My granny was a MIP, she was most influential person in my life growing up. Without her, I'm not sure I would have learned what hard work was, nor would I have the attitude I have, I would not be a volunteer, I would not be spiritually grounded, I would not cherish reading, I would not cherish nature. Every morning my grandmother would wake up at the CRACK of dawn, kneel down on the those strong tree trunk looking legs of hers and pray on a stool near the kitchen window....if you ran up on her trying to talk she would straight ignore you, I made that mistake a few times as a child. She would open the window, look outside, smell the fresh air, and literally began to just thank God.

I know I got my work ethic from my grandmother. I watched her be a wife, a mother, a housekeeper, a civil rights speaker, a church goer, an everything. She would drag me with her to the "sick and shut-ins for our church" I remember helping her clean up for women that were drug addicts, alcoholics, she worked her fingers to the bone. She always wanted to help people.

In terms of her everyday job, she worked for a very RICH, Jewish family the Tinkles (yes that's their real name), they were nice people, I use to play with all their stuff when I would go to work with my grandmother, I pretended that their house was my house, I would chase their dog Twinky around the entire house, I loved that dog, he was a Pomeranian. My grandmother taught me that life had a lot to offer, and little did I know that when she would take me with her to work in the summer she was teaching me how to be somebody.

I woke up this morning with her on my mind, and knew when my face was wet with tears that I needed to write, I miss her so much. I really wish she was here to witness the birth of my first child, I wish she could have met my wonderful husband, there are so many things that I wish she could see, some how I know she is watching over me though. In my grandmother's last days, I asked her if she thought leaving Texas was a good idea, I had just left a worthless relationship, I had been promoted to work for the corporate office of Time Warner and they wanted me to move, this was a real turning point in my career/life....anyway, I asked her what she thought, she told me to go...she said it's time for you to go...get married....he's there, and guess what she was right. The whole time I was driving up to VA after my granny passed, I kept seeing butterflies at every rest stop, and that was one of our favorite things to look at outside in her garden as a child, she and I would always point them out while working together.

Sometimes I think my husband is an angel that my grandmother sent to me. He has the biggest heart, really. Each day that we are married I know I married the right person more and more each day. Anyway, I'm all, emotional, the screen is starting to look blurry....ttyl...love. Be thankful. I hope you all had someone in your life that touched you with so much joy too..

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I miss your granny too. I miss both my grandmothers..momo and "big mama" :).

They're with us.

I'm sure she's already met your son.

phynxsun

June 12, 2008 at 5:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Grandmothers do take a special place in our hearts. I still forget sometimes that my Mama Sadie is gone, especially when April comes around (her birthday and Easter) I always start thinking about going see her and then remember that she's gone, although I do still visit her grave. Mama Sadie was a lot like your grandmother in some ways. I think that's the way women were of those times. She prayed every morning (and night and midday. . .) by her window. She kept her bible and cross by the nightstand by the window. She also loved nature especially flowers (she had roses everywhere around her house; it so sad that there are not being kept up anymore) and birds. When we would go to her house, we always had to bring the birds their food which was you'll never guess. Grits and bread! That's right. We didn't waste no grits at Mama Sadie's house. That was the birds food if we didn't eat it all. And the birds loved it!

She also cleaned houses and took care of everyone in the neighborhood (and her 14 children and countless grandkids) up until she had a stroke a few weeks before I was born. But that gave her more time to be home and enjoy her grandkids after that. And you all know what a hoot she was as she got older and well a little "eccentric" to put it nicely. Yes, grandmothers are special people.

June 13, 2008 at 10:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yep! Mama Sadie was something else! Will NEVER forget the "endearing" reference she made to Sharon that time!

We all have a piece of our grandomthers' instilled in us.

Blackbutterly..you have that spirtual wisdom and it's growing stronger with each year, Prince's #1 most definately has that sharp witted tongue! And me? Well..my grandmother LOVED her six pack of beer and dancing at the juke joint!!!


phynxsun

June 13, 2008 at 11:49 AM  
Blogger BlackButterfly said...

Mama Sadie was cool, she definitely kept us smiling :) I will always remember her ;) I just love grandmothers

June 16, 2008 at 1:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had been thinking about my remaining living grandmother since your post and was planning a visit this weekend--I was actually going to go visit last weekend but decided to wait until this coming weekend instead. Well, my grandmother passed away last night. So now, I will be going out there this weekend, but it will be to say goodbye.

June 25, 2008 at 10:59 AM  
Blogger BlackButterfly said...

Hey Rickie,

I am so sorry to hear about the lost of your grandmother, please know that my heart is with you, and you are in my thoughts and prayers, I have been really sick, but I plan on calling you tomorrow....love you :(.

June 25, 2008 at 8:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, I so miss Gra-mommy -- i to wish that she could see carmen, now. she always loved all the carmen stories i would tell her. i miss gran-dad too.

July 31, 2008 at 8:56 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home